Alumni Board Member
Class of 1976
Dr. Brian Levy is CEO of InflammX Therapeutics a clinical stage company developing products targeting Connexin43 Hemichannel modulation to inhibit activation of the inflammasome pathway of inflammation. This pathway is now known to be a common pathway in many diseases including, microvascular inflammation in ophthalmic disease (AMD and DR) and autoinflammation in a number of neurodegenerative diseases. The lead compound being developed at InflammX is an orally administered small molecule dosed QD to treat Diabetic Retinopathy (DR)/Diabetic Nephropathy (DN) and Geographic Atrophy (GA). Xiflam will be ready to enter Phase 2 clinical trialsin 2022.
Prior to InflammX Dr Levy was Chief Medical Officer at Aerie Pharmaceuticals responsible for the clinical development of 2 Rho Kinase Inhibitor topical drops for lowering of Intra Ocular Pressure (IOP) for treatment of patients with Glaucoma or ocular hypertension. Both New Drug Applications (NDA’s) were approved by the FDA and commercialized.
• Rhopressa the first approved Rho Kinase Inhibitor for lowering of IOP
• Roklatan, a combination of Rhopressa and a generic IOP lowering drug, latanoprost. The combination is the first combination with latanoprost approved by the FDA.
Prior to Aerie he was Sr VP of R&D and Chief Medical Officer at Bausch & Lomb for 15 years. He was responsible for 3 NDA’s all approved and commercialized.
- Retisert – the first implantable Drug Delivery System into the back of the eye to treat Posterior Uveitis, a potentially blinding inflammatory disease;
- Zylet a combination steroid/antibiotic for topical ophthalmic use for infection and inflammation
- Besivance a topical ophthalmic formulation of a 4th generation fluorquinolone for bacterial disease of the eye.
He was also responsible for 4 PMA’s and multiple 510K’s (FDA terminology for medical devices requiring approval prior to commercialization) including Intra Ocular Lenses for Cataract Surgery, Retinal and Refractive Surgical Equipment and Contact Lenses and disinfecting solutions for use with hydrophilic contact lenses. All approved and commercialized.
Prior to Bausch & Lomb Dr Levy was Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco and prior to that in private practice in Toronto and a clinical investigator and consultant to the ophthalmic industry. During his tenure at B&L and Aerie Pharmaceuticals he was a Clinical Professor in the Dept of Ophthalmology at the University of Rochester, Rochester NY.
Brian is an avid wildlife photographer spending a significant part of his time every year in the Game Parks of Southern Africa.
Brian received his O.D. from UC Berkeley School of Optometry in 1976 and M.Sc. in Comparative Anatomy and Physiology of the Eye from the U of Waterloo in 1979