June marks Pride Month, a time that reminds us to uplift our LGBTQ+ community – our lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and so many more community members that cannot be fully captured in a single acronym. Recognizing that our communities hold an incredibly and beautifully expansive range of intersecting identities and experiences, we celebrate the diverse expressions of gender and sexuality in our campus community. We are also reminded that, in a time of relentless anti-queer, anti-trans, and anti-drag legislation, rhetoric, and violence, we must continue to fight for the safety, dignity, and rights of all LGBTQ+ people.
We have pride-themed zoom backgrounds available for our community! All are welcome to download their favorite background from Box (or them all!), at this link.
See below to learn more about Pride Month, resources on campus, and upcoming events in the Bay Area and virtually!
- 1969 Stonewall Uprising: LGBTQ+ patrons of the Stonewall Inn fought against police brutality.
- History and Timeline of LGBTQ+ Rights.
- Podcast: Making Gay History – “Emotional glimpses into the lives of unsung, if not entirely sidelined, trailblazers who made their mark on the LGBTQ civil rights movement”
- Podcast: Nancy – “Personal stories from allies and everyday queers”
- Advocate for queer and trans issues with the Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer (LGBTQ+) Communities at Cal, and connect with GenEq for resources and educational events.
- Support local or national LGBTQ+ organizations and community spaces.
- Visit the Pride Month website for more information and resources.
Staff, Faculty, and Postdocs
- Friday June 16th, 12-1pm: Virtual Drag Queen Bingo (Zoom Link)
- June 14-24 (in theaters), June 24- July 2 (streaming encore): Frameline, San Francisco’s International LGBTQ Film Festival
- June 25th: march with students, staff, faculty, and alumni in the UC Berkeley contingent at San Francisco Pride. Please register to participate in the UC Berkeley contingent.