Advancing optometric education, clinical practice, and vision research for the benefit of a diverse and inclusive society.
Preeminence and leadership in optometric education, patient care, and vision science.
Values and Guiding Principles
At Berkeley Optometry, we have long lived by guiding principles that define and differentiate us. As part of a world-renowned university that embraces excellence and access, we foster an environment of trust and mutual respect, free expression and inquiry, and personal resilience and achievement. We are strongly committed to diversity, respect for cultural differences, and promotion of social justice. These principles serve us daily in our reasoning and actions and aid us in our decision making.
- We are driven to achieve excellence and challenge convention in all we do.
- We will not rest on past accomplishments but will build on them to establish new standards for education, patient-care, discovery, and invention.
- We demand more of ourselves than of others and consistently strive to make choices and decisions with integrity and accountability.
- We aspire to exceed expectations.
We Embrace Diversity and Community
- We value and respect others and treat everyone with dignity and respect.
- We embrace the unique contributions of all members of our diverse community.
- We encourage diversity in our teaching, learning, and research.
- We support opportunities for continuous professional development to maximize individual potential and strengthen our optometric community.
We Promote Curiosity
- We believe that curiosity enables discovery and life-long learning.
- Our curiosity helps to remove cultural barriers.
- We gain new perspectives, creativity, and growth through curiosity.
- Our curiosity enables us to challenge convention.
Our Community Achieves Through Collaboration
- We challenge convention through creative collaboration both within and outside of our community.
- Collaboration improves patient outcomes, enriches education, fosters innovative research, and enables efficient operations.
We are Passionately Engaged
- Passionate engagement is caring more, risking more, and expecting more.
- We will passionately expand the boundaries of our knowledge and our profession.
- We promote a positive, energized, and optimistic environment to inspire others and ourselves.