The 2021-2022 Strategic Plan uses the plan published in 2018. The revised plan has been updated to include the school’s initiatives and strategic goals on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEI&B), after consultation with the school community and approval of the DEI&B Council. It was apparent that this revision was needed, as despite DEI being an overarching value and guiding principle of the current 2018 Strategic Plan, we needed to strengthen the language within each of the specific strategic objectives.
The plan integrates tactics and metrics to track our progress towards realizing our strategic goals. As such, our Strategic Plan is a living document. We will be reviewing progress regularly, both in my office and at the unit level, and will dynamically update our tactics and strategies accordingly. Our plan will provide an external facing declaration of intent, and will continue to inform every aspect of our internal decision making.
Faculty, staff, students, and alumni participated in revising this important document. We are a strong community. This plan will both strengthen that community and our hard-earned position as the leading clinical and scientific program, and one that embraces diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
Advancing optometric education, clinical practice, and vision research for the benefit of a diverse and inclusive society.
Preeminence and leadership in optometric education, community service, patient care, and vision science.
Values and Guiding Principles
At Berkeley Optometry, as part of a world-renowned university that embraces excellence and access, we foster an environment of trust and mutual respect, free expression and inquiry, and personal resilience and achievement. We demonstrate sensitivity and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. These principles serve us daily in our reasoning and actions and aid us in our decision making.
We Aspire to Excellence
- We are driven to achieve excellence and challenge convention in all we do.
- We will not rest on past accomplishments but will build on them to establish new standards for education, diversity, inclusion, patient-
care, discovery, and invention.
- We demand more of ourselves than of others and consistently strive to make choices and decisions with integrity and accountability.
- We recognize that diversity and inclusion are the keys to excellence.
We Promote Diversity and Community
- We commit to providing leadership in diversity, inclusion, equity, and social justice.
- We value and treat our diverse community with dignity and respect.
- We celebrate the unique contributions of all members of our diverse community.
- We demand cultural competency, cultural humility and inclusion in our teaching, learning, and research.
- We promote diversity, access and sensitivity in patient care.
- We support continuous professional development in diversity and inclusion to strengthen our optometric community.
- We identify as an anti-racist community.
- We will not tolerate bigotry or discrimination of any kind.
We Encourage Curiosity
- We believe that curiosity enables discovery and life-long learning.
- Our curiosity helps to remove social, cultural and systemic barriers.
- We gain new perspectives, creativity, and growth through curiosity.
- Our curiosity enables us to to become changemakers.
Our Community Achieves Through Collaboration
- We challenge convention through creative collaboration both within and outside of our community.
- Collaboration improves patient outcomes, enriches education, fosters socially responsible innovation, and enables efficient operations.
We are Passionately Engaged
- Passionate engagement is caring more, risking more, and expecting more.
- We will passionately expand the boundaries of our knowledge and our profession.
- We promote a positive, inclusive, and energized environment to inspire others and ourselves.