VA San Jose Outpatient Clinic
Eye Clinic physical address:VA SJC
5855 Silver Creek Valley Place (new address as of 11/26/18)
San Jose, CA 95138
Clinical Teaching Faculty:Andrew Mangum, OD, FAAO, Optometry Trainee Program Coordinator Andrew.Mangum@va.gov
Shiyin Linda Wang, OD, firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrative Contact Person:
Bayron Juarez, Optometry Administrative Trainee Coordinator, (650) 493-5000 ext 68340, Bayron.Juarez@va.gov
Type of Practice:
- VA Hospital
- Primary care optometry in an outpatient setting with a large patient population of diabetes, cataracts, glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration and other pathologies.
- Daily schedule of 8-10 patients per student.
- Mainly male geriatric patients, age range 21-100.
Prerequisites for Student Interns:
- Clinic Jacket.
- Scrubs ok (preferably blue).
- Please see Externships Documentation and Immunization Requirements page for requirements.
Patient Services Provided:
- Provide vision care and prescribe appropriate visual aids.
- Provide primary eye care services as well as diagnosis and treatment anterior and posterior diseases. Patients are exposed to full-scope practice.
- Ability to detect, diagnose, and treat ocular pathology within the maximum scope of practice of optometry.
- To improve efficiency, time management, technical and clinical examination skills.
- Compliance with all instructions and VA policies as directed by staff.
- Professional appearance and attitude. Timeliness and dependability are requirements.
- Students must wear clinic jackets with identification.
- Students provide primary eye care 5 days per week.
- Present one 15-minute oral case presentation of a patient examined during the rotation.
- Completion of written case report of publishable quality.
- Train and educate students to detect ocular abnormalities and provide proper assessment, plan, and follow-up.
- Please know that there are many providers at this site other than the clinical faculty. You will be working with the clinical faculty person(s) and the other providers in patient care.
- Brand new clinic, fully equipped and state of the art.
- Car required. Plenty of free parking.
- Starbucks, Subway, and gas station on site.
- No housing available.