VA Palo Alto Medical Center
Eye Clinic physical address:3801 Miranda Avenue, Bldg. 5
Mail Code 112/OPTOM
Palo Alto, CA 94304
(650) 493-5000 – Dr. Vien at ext. 68024 ; Mr. Bayron Juarez at ext. 68340
FAX: (650) 849-0319 (Call Bayron Juarez before you send a fax.)
Clinical Teaching Faculty:Tran Nguyen, O.D., Optometry Trainee Program Coordinator, Tran.Nguyen@va.gov Tracy Wang, O.D. Tracy.Wang1@va.gov
Administrative Contact Person:
Vanessa Perez, Optometry Administrative Trainee Coordinator, (650) 493-5000 ext 68340, Vanessa.Perez3@va.gov
Type of Practice:
- VA Hospital
- Primary care optometry in an outpatient setting with a large patient population of diabetes, cataracts, glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration and other pathologies.
- Over 15,000 patients seen at various clinics annually.
- Mainly male geriatric population.
Prerequisites for Student Interns
- Clinic Jacket.
- Scrubs okay (preferably blue).
- Please see Externships Documentation and Immunization Requirements page for additional requirements.
Patient Services Provided
- Provide primary eye care services as well as diagnosis and treatment anterior and posterior diseases. Patients are exposed to full-scope practice.
- Ability to detect, diagnose, and treat ocular pathology.
- To improve efficiency, time management, technical and clinical examination skills.
- Compliance with all instructions and VA policies as directed by staff.
- Professional appearance and attitude. Timeliness and dependability are requirements.
- Students must wear clinic jackets with identification.
- Students provide primary eye care 5 days per week.
- Present one oral case presentation of a patient examined during the rotation.
- Completion of written case report of publishable quality.
- SUNY and SCCO
- No housing available.
- Fully equipped and state of the art equipment.
- Please know that there are many providers at this site other than the clinical faculty. You will be working with the clinical faculty person(s) and the other providers in patient care.