VA Pacific Islands Health Care System, Honolulu, HI
Spark M. Matsunaga Medical Center
Ambulatory Care Clinic
459 Patterson Road
Honolulu, HI 96819-1522
FAX: (808) 433-0398
Contact Person: Jon M. Sakuda, O.D. email@example.com
Clinical Teaching Faculty: Jon M. Sakuda, O.D.
Type of Practice: Veterans Administration Ambulatory Care Clinic
Multidisciplinary Outpatient Medical Clinic serving the State of Hawaii and the Pacific Basin.
- Generally multi-ethnic aging male population.
- Chronic systemic and psychiatric conditions.
Prerequisites for Student Interns
- Please see Externships Documentation and Immunization Requirements page for requirements.
- Please bring your clinic jacket,BIO and lenses (for non-contact, BIO, and gonioscopy), and any other personal equipment you feel you would require to conduct examinations.
Patient Services Provided
- Full scope Optometric services including the treatment and management of ocular disease.
- Provide exposure to and proficiency with geriatric patients, chronic systemic and ocular conditions.
- Provide exposure and interaction with various health care providers in a multi-disciplinary setting.
- A willingness to participate as a team player in providing eye care services.
- To ensure that the educational objectives are met.
- To ensure that the student has the opportunity to enjoy the beauty and diversity of Hawaii.
Miscellaneous Information (housing, parking, etc.)
- Effective March 4, 2016, the VA Pacific Islands will be seeing patients on Saturdays for a full day of clinic. Students are required to report to clinic on Saturday if their attending is in clinic that Saturday. In lieu of coming in on Saturday, the student will be given a day off, usually the same day their attending will be out. Saturday assignments are rotated among the O.D. staff so students may work up to two Saturdays a month.
- Please contact Dr. Sakuda by email 8 weeks prior to your arrival to take care of administrative details.
- Ample parking.
- Affordable meals available at hospital dining room.
- Student responsible for own housing and transportation.
- UC Berkeley School of Optometry
- Pacific University College of Optometry
- Southern California College of Optometry