VA Muskogee Medical Center
Jack C. Montgomery VA Medical Center
1011 Honor Heights Drive
Muskogee, OK 74401
(918) 577-3000 x 3416
Fax: (918) 577-3664
Contact Person: Melissa Turner Melissa.Turner4@va.gov
Clinical Teaching Faculty: Melissa D. Turner, O.D., FAAO, Optometry Student Externship Coordinator
Type of Practice: VA Medical Center
Primary care optometry in a hospital setting with a large population of ocular disease, including diabetes, macular degeneration, glaucoma and other pathologies.
- Our patient population is primarily geriatric patients and are predominantly male.
- There are ~ 35-60 patients scheduled in the eye clinic per day.
Prerequisites for Student Interns
- Please see Externships Documentation and Requirements page for additional requirements.
- Students are not required to bring any equipment but may if they would like.
- Each examination room is equipped with a BIO and fundus lenses.
- Do not bring any tonometry probes or gonioscopy lenses due to internal sterilization guidelines.
Patient Services Provided
- Comprehensive eye care to include the treatment and management of ocular disease.
- To become more comfortable and confident in ocular disease diagnosis and management.
- To improve efficiency, time management, technical and clinical examination skills.
- A willingness to work hard and learn while working as an integral part of a multi-disciplinary team in providing patient care at the VA Medical Center.
- Compliance with all instructions and VA policies as directed by staff.
- Professional appearance and attitude. Scrubs are allowed.
- Timeliness and dependability are requirements.
- Provide appropriately supervised clinical educational experiences, with emphasis in ocular disease and primary eye care.
- Clinic hours are 8:00-4:30 Monday through Friday, although urgent care and patient care responsibilities may occasionally involve a later departure.
- Parking at the facility is limited, additional parking is available off site with a shuttle to the facility. There is no parking fee.
- Housing is not provided by the VA. However, information from previous students is available upon request.
- A gym with fitness equipment is available at the medical center and students may use the gym at no charge.