VA Monterey Outpatient Clinic
Eye Clinic physical address:VA Monterey Outpatient Clinic
Major General William H. Gourley VA-DOD Outpatient Clinic
VA Palo Alto Health Care System
201 9th Street
Marina, CA 93933
Clinical Teaching Faculty:
Randall McPherran, O.D., F.A.A.O., Optometry Trainee Program Coordinator Randall.McPherran@va.gov
Administrative Contact Person:
Vanessa Perez, Optometry Administrative Trainee Coordinator, (650) 493-5000 ext 68340, Vanessa.Perez3@va.gov
Type of Practice:
- VA Hospital
- Primary care optometry in an outpatient setting with a large patient population of diabetes, cataracts, glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration and other pathologies.
- Daily schedule of 9-11 patients per day.
- Mainly male geriatric patients, age range 40 to 100.
Prerequisites for Student Interns
- Clinic Jacket.
- Scrubs okay (preferably blue).
- Please see Externships Documentation and Immunization Requirements page for additional requirements.
Patient Services Provided
- Provide vision care and prescribe appropriate visual aids.
- Provide primary eye care services as well as diagnosis and treatment of anterior and posterior diseases. Patients are exposed to full-scope practice.
- Outpatient Low Vision evaluation and training
- Outpatient Polytrauma evaluation
- Ability to detect, diagnose, and treat ocular pathology within the maximum scope of practice of optometry.
- To improve efficiency, time management, technical and clinical examination skills.
- Compliance with all instructions and VA policies as directed by staff.
- Professional appearance and attitude. Timeliness and dependability are requirements.
- Students must wear clinic jackets with identification.
- Students provide primary eye care services five days per week under optometry faculty supervision
- Present one 15 minute oral case presentation of a patient examined during the rotation.
- Completion of written case report of publishable quality.
- Train and educate students to detect ocular abnormalities and provide proper assessment, plan, and follow-up care
- UCBSO, Western, SCCO
- Brand new clinic, fully equipped and state of the art.
- Located minutes away from the Cannery Row and the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Near the California State University, Monterey Bay.
- Located off Highway 1.
- Clinic hours are Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- No housing available.
- Plenty of free parking available