VA Long Beach Medical Center – Long Beach/Santa Ana, CA
Eye Clinic physical address:VA Long Beach
5901 E. 7th Street
Building 126 – Optometry Service
Long Beach, CA 90822
Santa Ana CBOC
1506 Brookhollow Dr.
Santa Ana, CA 92705
Externship Program Director:Edward Chu, OD, FAAO
Edward.Chu@va.gov (714) 434-4668
Type of Practice:
- VA Hospital
Patient Care Hours
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Prerequisites for Student Interns
- Clinic attire, scrubs acceptable
- Work hard, be professional, show improvement
- Please see externship documentation and immunization requirements
Patient Services Provided
- Provide vision care and prescribe appropriate visual aids.
- Provide primary eye care services as well as diagnosis and treatment anterior and posterior diseases. Patients are exposed to full-scope practice.
- All clinic rooms stocked with BIO and 90D/78D/20D lenses, gonioscopy lenses
- Personal equipment is allowed, but not required
Patient Services Provided:
- Primary care exams with diagnosis and treatment of anterior/posterior segment diseases.
- Opportunities to shadow and perform exams on patients with traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Externs, residents, and staff doctors will meet every Wednesday for 1 hour for Grand Rounds/Journal club
- Externs are required to present one PowerPoint presentation on a patient seen during the rotation
- Externs are expected to see between 8 and 10 patients per day
- Ability to detect, diagnose, and treat ocular pathology
- To improve efficiency, time management, technical and clinical examination skills
- Increase ability to perform advanced procedures such as gonioscopy, scleral depression
- Integrate classroom knowledge into clinical care
- Improve independent decision making and management ability
- No housing available
- Car for transportation between clinics recommended
- Fully equipped clinics with OCT, fundus camera, anterior segment camera, Humphrey VF
- Other externship affiliations: NECO, SALUS, MBKU