VA Livermore Medical Center
Eye Clinic physical address:Palo Alto Health Care Service
VA PA HCS
4951 Arroyo Road
Livermore, CA 94550
Clinical Teaching Faculty:
Jessica Gee, OD, Jessica.Gee@va.gov, Trainee Program Coordinator
Other Mentors: Chelsia Park, OD firstname.lastname@example.org, (925) 373-4700, ext. 35691
Administrative Contact Person:
Vanessa Perez, Optometry Administrative Trainee Coordinator, (650) 493-5000 ext 68340, Vanessa.Perez3@va.gov
Type of Practice:
- VA Hospital
- Primary care optometry in an outpatient setting with a large patient population of diabetes, cataracts, glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration and other pathologies.
- Daily schedule of 9-11 patients.
- Mainly male geriatric patients.
Prerequisites for Student Interns
- Clinic Jacket.
- Scrubs okay (preferably blue).
- Please see Externships Documentation and Immunization Requirements page for additional requirements.
Patient Services Provided
- Provide vision care and prescribe appropriate visual aids.
- Provide primary eye care services as well as diagnosis and treatment anterior and posterior diseases. Patients are exposed to full-scope practice.
- Ability to detect, diagnose, and treat ocular pathology within the maximum scope of practice of optometry.
- To improve efficiency, time management, technical and clinical examination skills.
- Compliance with all instructions and VA policies as directed by staff.
- Professional appearance and attitude. Timeliness and dependability are requirements.
- Students must wear clinic jackets with identification.
- Students provide primary eye care services two and a half days per week under optometry faculty supervision and assist general ophthalmologist two and a half days per week.
- Present one 30 minute oral case presentation of a patient examined during the rotation.
- Completion of written case report of publishable quality.
- May be required to interact with and provide limited instruction to medical students.
- Train and educate students to detect ocular abnormalities and provide proper assessment, plan, and follow-up.
- Please know that there are many providers at this site other than the clinical faculty. You will be working with the clinical faculty person(s) and the other providers in patient care.
- Located in a lovely hillside setting of vineyards of the Livermore valley.
- Plenty of free parking.
- No housing available.
- Limited food service facilities on site.