VA Central California Health Care System
2615 E. Clinton Avenue
Fresno, CA 93703
(559) 225-6100 ext. 5101
FAX (559) 228-5309
Clinical Teaching Faculty: Deana Lum, OD Optometry Section Chief Deana.Lum2@va.gov , Andrew Ta, OD, Optometry Student Program Coordinator Andrew.Ta@va.gov
Type of Practice: VA Hospital
General medical and surgical hospital serving the Central San Joaquin Valley.
- Generally aging male population.
- About 200 patients/week.
Prerequisites for Student Interns
- Please see Externships Documentation and Immunization Requirements page for additional requirements.
Patient Services Provided
- Comprehensive eye care, including treatment and management of medical eye disease.
- To have the student be comfortable examining the geriatric veteran population, as well as becoming familiar with the acute and chronic eye diseases and conditions that afflict this population.
- A willingness to work hard and learn in becoming an integral part of our Optometry team.
- Supervising the student, ensuring the above mentioned objectives are met.
- Please know that there are many providers at this site other than the contact person. You will be working with the contact person and the other providers in patient care.
- Pacific, NECO and WUCO
- Housing is not provided by the VA; however, recommendations for housing options are available.
- The Optometry Student Program Coordinator maintains an open-door policy. If you have any concerns, please talk to the Program Coordinator immediately. If you feel uncomfortable talking with your Optometry Student Program Coordinator, you can discuss matters with the Optometry Section Chief and/or your school.