Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, Sacramento Area
Kaiser Point West
1650 Response Road
Sacramento, CA 95815-4807
Kaiser Downtown Commons
501 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95184
Kaiser Rancho Cordova
10725 International Drive
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
Students will rotate to the three locations. Point West two days/week; Downtown Commons two to three days/week; Rancho Cordova one to two days/week.
Contact Person: Helen Zhou, O.D. Helen.X.Zhou@kp.org , (916) 614-4310 or leave message at (916) 784-4185. Email communication preferred.
Clinical Teaching Faculty: Helen Zhou, O.D. Tiffany Phan, O.D. (Tiffany.H1.Phan@kp.org), and Janis Lightman, O.D. (substitute)
Type of Practice: HMO
- Age range 4 to 95.
- Approximately eight patients per day (range is five to ten patients per day).
Prerequisites for Student Interns
- HBV, MMR, PPD, Varicella and CPR certification required. Proof of TB test within 3 months of start of rotation.
- Clinic jacket and UC ID badge.
- Bring your own Diagnostic lens set (20D, 90 or 78D and gonioscopy lens). Consider bringing your own BIO.
- Please see Externships Documentation and Immunization Requirements page for additional requirements.
Patient Services Provided
- General eye exams and contact lens exams and evaluations.
- Scleral Lens clinic: Students will shadow and work with attending to get hands on experience. Once a month will be a full day of fittings, and throughout the month a few days of follow ups.
- Low Vision clinic: Students will shadow one of the two low vision doctors. Occurs a couple of times during the rotation.
- To improve the externs ability to integrate the classroom knowledge and clinical knowledge.
- To continue learning through interactions with attendings, educational materials, and patient encounters.
- To stimulate and encourage the externs to learn.
- Guide students to efficient exams without compromising quality of care.
- Bring reference materials.
- As you will be going to three different locations in the Sacramento area, you will need a car.
Kaiser Sac Policies