Bay Area Community Health (BACH)
39500 Liberty Street, Fremont, CA 94538
Irvington Dave Vision Clinic
40924 Fremont Boulevard, Fremont, CA 94538
1066 S. White Road, San Jose, CA 95127
Santa Clara County & Alameda County
Piper Bahr OD FAAO, firstname.lastname@example.org
Piper Bahr OD FAAO, email@example.com
Elysia Ison OD FAAO, firstname.lastname@example.org
Alyssa Louie OD FAAO, email@example.com
Pertinent Information for Externs:
- Housing Availability: No.
- Rotation for satellite clinics: Yes, if desired.
- No equipment required.
- Other requirements for this site: Proper clinic attire, scrubs OK, white coat optional.
- Citizenship to Attend: Not Required.
Description: Bay Area Community Health:
Bay Area Community Health provides comprehensive eye exam services including primary, urgent, and emergent care for all ages and all income levels in the Bay Area. Our providers practice to the fullest scope of medical optometry and are trained to prescribe glasses as well as treat medical conditions in the front and back of the eye. These anterior segment conditions include but are not limited to eyelid infections or growths, eye infections, inflammations or irritations, watery eyes and foreign body removals. Our specialized equipment allows us to monitor posterior segment conditions such as floaters, visual distortions, retina tears or detachments, macular degeneration, glaucoma, and ocular signs of systemic conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol. If conditions require more specialized care, our clinic has providers who practice low and binocular vision as well as referral system to ophthalmologists who specialize in retinal, cornea, and cataract surgery.
Bay Area Community Health was formed in 2020 off the strength of southern Alameda County’s Tri-City Health Center and Santa Clara County’s Foothill Community Health Center. Formed during the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic, Bay Area Community Health (BACH) brings more than 70 years of combined service to an area that stretches from Union City to Gilroy.
Before forming BACH, Tri-City Health Center served the Fremont community for 50 years, becoming a central force for providing health services to all in southern Alameda County. Foothill Community Health Center began servicing low-income families and individuals in East San Jose in 1996 and the greater Santa Clara County region in 2011.
Both organizations bring decades of service, relationships, and professional staff to Bay Area Community Health. BACH serves more than 100,000 people, who rely on high-quality healthcare services, regardless of their immigration status, ethnicity, disabilities, or ability to pay.
- Three different clinic locations with diverse patient populations.
- EPIC EHR system.
- Auxiliary equipment includes Zeiss OCT Cirrus 6000 Angio, Zeiss Retinal Camera Clarus 500, and Zeiss Humphrey Field Analyzer 3 with liquid lens.
- Technicians to perform pretesting and diagnostic testing.
- Average patient load 10 to 16 patients a day.
- Students will be expected to present a case by the end of their rotation and participate in weekly journal clubs.
Monday – Friday 8AM to 5PM
Occasional Saturday 8AM to 5PM (make up clinic for excessive absences)
The Clinic is Closed for the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Friday after Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Eve
- Day Christmas Day
- Day New Year’s Eve
- Perform efficient comprehensive exams on patients of all age levels from diverse backgrounds with various systemic conditions in an interdisciplinary healthcare setting.
- Efficient diagnosis, treatment, and management of various levels of ocular disease including but not limited to glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetes, uveitis, trauma and red eyes.
- Practicing advanced skills such as trial frame refraction, gonioscopy, scleral indentation, and foreign body removal.
- Interdisciplinary collaboration with primary care physicians, pediatricians, cardiologists, rheumatologists, neurologists, diabetes educators.
Schools represented at this site include Marshall. B. Ketchum (Southern California College of Optometry).
- Free parking available onsite
- Lunch hour can be shorter in the beginning of the rotation, please bring lunch
- BACH Health Website