Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
900 NW 17th Street
Miami, FL 33101
(305) 326-6000, ext. 4062
FAX (305) 326-6417
Contact Person: Mark Dunbar, O.D. at (305) 326-6000 x4042.
Clinical Teaching Faculty:
Mark Dunbar, O.D.
Type of Practice: Eye hospital staffed by the ophthalmology department of the University of Miami School of Medicine.
- Approximately 140,000 to 150,000 patients/year.
Prerequisites for Student Interns
- PPD within six months of start date.
- Prior to attending the rotation, students must review the Optometric Extern Orientation Manual. Please contact Dr. Small for a copy of the orientation manual.
- Please see Externships Documentation and Immunization Requirements page for additional requirements.
Patient Services Provided
- Full scope optometric services
- To become knowledgeable in the diagnosis and treatment of ocular disease entities and in the interpretation of visual fields, corneal topography, optical coherence tomography, and fluorescein angiograms. Learn pre- and post- operative care for cataract surgery and refractive surgery.
- Facilitate the examination of patients in the optometry clinics and the ophthalmology sub-specialty clinics, attend weekly lectures/presentations including ophthalmology grand rounds and optometry rounds, prepare one 20-30 minute case presentation, and prepare for weekly journal club meetings.
- Supervise and educate externs in the clinic setting.
- Provide lectures/presentations.
- Please know that there are many providers at this site other than the clinical faculty. You will be working with the clinical faculty person(s) and the other providers in patient care.
- Pacific, NECO, Indiana, Nova, SUNY, Midwestern, Illinois.
- The rotation is very challenging and is highly demanding. Only attend if extern has average/above-average clinical skills and a strong desire to learn and work hard.
- Unofficial Orientation Guide to Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
- There are a fair number of Spanish-speaking patients so knowing how to speak Spanish would be helpful.