Air Force Base, Vandenberg
338 S. Dakota Ave.
Vandenberg AFB, CA 93437
FAX (805) 606-8138 Contact Person: TSgt. Brittney Carter
email@example.com Clinical Teaching Faculty:Captain Laura Pfendler, OD at firstname.lastname@example.org
TBA Type of Practice: Air Force Base; “Family Vision Care”
- Active duty military members, their families, and retired military.
- Average approximately 8-12 patients per day, depending on student’s skill level.
Prerequisites for Student Interns
- Must be a US Citizen.
- CPR certification and current immunizations (TB, Hepatitis B, MMR and Varicella) desired, otherwise provided.
- Bring shot records.
- Bring/send Certificates of HIPAA training.
- FBI and Department of Justice background checks – to be done during first week of rotation.
- Please see Externships Documentation and Immunization Requirements page for additional requirements.
Patient Services Provided
- Primary Care.
- Clinic is equipped with an Optovue OCT, topographer, Humphrey visual field, and FDT.
- Limited contact lenses, PRK f/u, binocular vision, and low vision.
- Consults from multi-disciplinary setting.
- Acclimate students to a wide variety of patients (pediatric to geriatric) and ocular conditions in a clinical multi-disciplinary setting.
- This is NOT an “over the shoulder” or “be my technician” type of rotation. Students perform the exam and think through each patient encounter, from start to finish.
- Punctuality and a willingness to learn.
- Provide a safe, friendly, personalized educational opportunity for each student.
- Housing which is available outside Vandenberg AFB, in the local community. Please call for more details.