About Our Camp
Open to all, the goal of Berkeley Optometry’s Opto-Camp is to provide pre-health science/pre-optometry majors, especially those who are underrepresented in the profession and/or first-generation college students, with in-depth information about Optometry as a career track and to prepare attendees to be successful applicants to optometry school. We normally have about 40 Opto-Campers each summer.
The objective of Berkeley Optometry’s Opto-Camp is to present a five-day “in residence” experience that will provide participants with opportunities to learn about the profession of optometry and the process of becoming an optometrist.
Who Can Participate?
- Preferential consideration will be given to those applicants who will be entering into their senior year of college in the fall semester after opto-camp, then to those who will be juniors, and then to those who will be sophomores.
- We will also consider applications from those who have already completed their undergraduate studies.
- Preferential consideration will be given to applicants who are the first in their family to pursue post-high school education.
- Preferential consideration will also be given to applicants who have a 3.0, or higher, cumulative GPA.
- A declared, or anticipated, major in the Sciences is preferred, but not required.
- Out-of-State prospective Opto-Campers are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
- We do not consider applications from high school students.
- If selected, there is a $200 USD program fee to attend.
- A limited number of scholarships are available. Instructions are listed under “Scholarships.”
- Opto-Camp participants need to cover their travel expenses to and from the UC Berkeley campus.
How Do I Apply?
The application consists of two parts: the online application and supplemental mailed-in materials. Please note that we prefer that applicants mail an official transcript from their primary institution, application fee and payment form in ONE envelope.Apply Now
Opto-Camp admission decisions are made after the deadline; it is not based on rolling admissions
- Completed Student Profile, Family Profile, Short Answers, and Letter of Recommendation information (All Online).
- Letter of Recommendation and form submitted online by the recommender.
- Your most recent college or university official transcript in a signed and sealed envelope
- $20.00 US Dollars non-refundable application processing fee. Only pay by personal check or money order, made out to “UC Regents.” Please do not include cash! Sorry, no application fee waivers!
- Payment Information Form.
If you wish to be considered for an Opto-Camp Scholarship, please complete the Opto-Camp Scholarship Form and submit your financial aid award letter from the undergraduate institution you currently attend. If you are not currently enrolled, please submit a copy of your and your parents’ income tax return(s) and W2(s) from 2015. In addition to documentation, please submit the scholarship form along with your mailed-in supplemental materials.
If you cannot type the required response in the interactive Opto-Camp Scholarship Form when viewing the form inside your web browser, first download the form to your computer and then open it in Adobe Reader (free app) or Adobe Acrobat Pro in order to complete the form.