About Our Camp
Open to all, the goal of Berkeley Optometry’s Opto-Camp is to provide pre-health science/pre-optometry majors, especially those who are underrepresented in the profession and/or first-generation college students, with in-depth information about Optometry as a career track and to prepare attendees to be successful applicants to optometry school. We normally have about 40 Opto-Campers each summer.
Application is now closed
Opto-Camp will take place July 16-20, 2018
The objective of Berkeley Optometry’s Opto-Camp is to present a five-day “in residence” experience that will provide participants with opportunities to learn about the profession of optometry and the process of becoming an optometrist.
Who Can Participate?
- Preferential consideration will be given to those applicants who will be entering into their senior year of college in the fall semester after opto-camp, then to those who will be juniors, and then to those who will be sophomores.
- We will also consider applications from those who have already completed their undergraduate studies.
- Preferential consideration will be given to applicants who are the first in their family to pursue post-high school education.
- Preferential consideration will also be given to applicants who have a 3.0, or higher, cumulative GPA.
- A declared, or anticipated, major in the Sciences is preferred, but not required.
- Out-of-State prospective Opto-Campers are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
- We do not consider applications from high school students.
- If selected, there is a $200 camp fee to attend.
- A limited number of scholarships are available. Instructions are listed under “Scholarships.”
- Opto-Camp participants need to cover their travel expenses to and from the UC Berkeley campus.
Read Before You Apply
Before you start the application, it’s a good idea to understand what information you will asked to supply so you can gather it before you start. This is important because once you start the application, you will need to complete the application before closing your browser window. There isn’t a way to start an application, and then come back to it later.
Emergency contact information
Parents education level
Please list and describe your involvement in school clubs and/or athletics and/or community service activities.
Why would you like to attend Opto-Camp?
Tell us about a quality, trait, or characteristic that makes you unique?
Recommender phone number
Question: The Opto-Camp scholarship is intended to help support those students who are economically disadvantaged to attend this program. Please explain why you should be considered.
How Do I Apply?
The application consists of two parts: the online application, letter of recommendation and form filled out online by the recommender, and an official transcript from your primary institution, which must be in an unopened, signed sealed envelope and sent to the following address listed under Contact Us at the bottom of this page.
Opto-Camp admission decisions are made after the deadline; it is not based on rolling admissions
- Completed Student Profile, Family Profile, Short Answers, and Letter of Recommendation information (All Online).
- Letter of Recommendation and form submitted online by the recommender.
- Your most recent college or university official transcript in a signed and sealed envelope
If you wish to be considered for an Opto-Camp Scholarship, please complete the our scholarship application (it’s part of the online application). You will be asked to upload your financial aid award letter from the undergraduate institution you currently attend. If you are not currently enrolled in a college, please call our office to discuss other options. See Contact Us section below.
Please contact us if you have any questions about Opto-Camp or about the application process. We are here to help!
Berkeley Optometry Opto-Camp
Admissions and Student Affairs Office
380 Minor Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-2020
Opto-Camp is generously supported by our friends at VSP Vision Care, a vision care health insurance company operating in Australia, Canada, Ireland, the US, and the UK.