About Our Camp
Open to all, Opto-Camp is a 5-day program that provides participants with opportunities to learn about the profession of optometry and the process of becoming an optometrist. Opto-Camp is free! A goal of Opto-Camp is to provide in-depth information about Optometry as a career track to those who are underrepresented in the profession and/or first-generation college students. Please also note that Opto-Camp 2022 is virtual due to COVID-19.
Register (It’s Free!)We are no longer accepting applications. Check back late February 2023 for more information!
If you get stuck anywhere in the application process, you can refer to these instructions. Keep in mind that although this is the same application form used to apply to the OD program, as long as you select Opto-Camp from the drop down menu on the Program Selection page, you are only applying for our camp.
- Click on the button “Register Now”
- Click “Create an account” for first-time users.
- Enter the following information requested.
- Enter in the temporary pin sent to your email address.
- Set up a strong password.
- Click on the button “Start New Application” → “Create application” → “Open application”
- At the Program Selection page, select “Opto-Camp” in the application dropdown menu.
- Select “Summer 2022” under the Program Term dropdown menu.
- Under Personal Information: Enter the following information requested.
- Under Student Information: Click “Add New” under the blue bar to enter information about your undergraduate college or university. Make sure to click “Save” when done.
- Under Family background: Enter the following information requested.
- Under Short Answers: Ensure your responses are thorough and do not exceed the 500 word limit.
- Under Supporting Materials: Click “Choose File” to upload your most recent college or university transcript. (Official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable.)
- Under Reference: Click “Add Recommender” to add one letter of recommendation from an optometry, academic source, or supervisor. Your recommender will receive an email from email@example.com including instructions on how to submit your letter of recommendation.
- Under Signature: Type your full legal name to certify your given information is true.
- Once done with the application, under Review go through your application to ensure all parts are completed.
- Thank you for applying to Opto-Camp! We look forward to seeing you this summer!
Opto-Camp will be held on from July 18 – 22, 2022.
- Opportunities to network and learn from OD alumni, current students, and faculty
- Workshops on applying and interviewing for admissions
- Learn about the fundamentals of vision health
- Demonstrations using optometric equipment
- Interest in Optometry.
- Enrolled in, or have completed undergraduate studies.
- U.S. citizens, Permanent Residents, and international applicants are welcome to apply!
- Students with underrepresented backgrounds and identities in optometry are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Thanks to the support of VSP (Vision Service Plan), there is no fee to attend Opto-Camp Summer 2022.
How To Apply
Registration for Opto-Camp 2022 is closed.
The application consists of the following: an online application, short answer questions, a letter of recommendation, and a transcript sent to firstname.lastname@example.org from your primary institution (either an official or unofficial will be accepted if your registrar is closed due to COVID-19 shelter in place orders). See below for details on the application parts.
Use the pin sent to your email from email@example.com to sign in
- Create a password
- Select Start an Application.
- Select Opto-Camp and Summer 2022 from the drop down options.
- Complete your Application.
- You are able to complete your application in more than one sitting, but you must finish the required fields and select Submit by May 15, 2022 for it to be reviewed.
Emergency contact information
Parents education level
How did you hear about Opto-Camp at UC Berkeley's School of Optometry?
What sort of experiences (personal, academic or extracurricular) have you had related to the field of Optometry and/or any other Health Professions?
Have you had any experiences and/or involvement in school clubs and/or athletics and/or community service activities.
Why would you like to attend Opto-Camp?
What about the field of Optometry do you think makes it a great fit for you?
Recommender phone number
When you submit your application, an email will be sent directly to your recommender with instructions on how to provide your letter of recommendation. Please make sure your letter writer knows to expect an email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
A: We do not consider applications from high school students.
Q: Is there a GPA requirement?
A: No GPA requirement.
Q: Is there a specific major I need to have?
A: No specific major.
Q: What if I can only attend some of the days?
A: Participants are required to attend the program in its entirety.
Q: Do I have to be currently enrolled in undergrad to apply?
A: You do not currently need to be enrolled in undergraduate studies. Applicants must currently be enrolled in or have graduated from an undergraduate study program.
Q: Do I have to be applying this cycle?
A: Applicants do not need to be in the process of applying to optometry programs. Opto-Camp is a great experience for both individuals who are applying and individuals who are exploring optometry as a career.
Q: Is this a guarantee to get into UC Berkeley School of Optometry?
A: Attending Opto-Camp does not guarantee admission into UC Berkeley School of Optometry, however, it provides a number of advantages in putting forward a competitive application.
Q: If I don’t get in this year, can I apply again?
A: Applicants are welcome and encouraged to reapply!
Q: Who should write my letter of recommendation?
A: The strongest letters of recommendation come from people who know you well and have been in a position to oversee your work. Letters from individuals in the optometric field, while helpful, are not required. We recommend receiving a letter of recommendation from an Optometrist, supervisor in either an employment or volunteer setting, life science professor or pre-health advisor. Please note that letters should not come from family members or friends
Q: Do you accept unofficial transcripts?
A: Yes! You may upload an unofficial transcript on Slate. If you are sending an electronic transcript, please send it to email@example.com. If you are mailing a transcript, please mail it to Admissions and Student Affairs, 380 Minor Hall Berkeley, CA 94720.
Andrea HuertaMeet Opto-Camp alum and Berkeley Optometry student Andrea.
Mahsa MasoudiMahsa is an Opto-Camp alum, former Opto-Camp counselor, and a Berkeley Optometry student.
Aubrey VetroneBerkeley Optometry student Aubrey is an Opto-Camp alum and former Opto-Camp counselor.
Please contact us if you have any questions about Opto-Camp or about the application process. We are here to help!
Berkeley Optometry Opto-Camp
Admissions and Student Affairs Office
380 Minor Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-2020
Opto-Camp is generously supported by our friends at VSP Vision Care, a vision care health insurance company operating in Australia, Canada, Ireland, the US, and the UK.