Opto-Camp at Berkeley Optometry
Excited by the idea of spending three days at UC Berkeley?
Interested in a career in the health professions?
Intrigued by the field of Optometry and want to learn more?
... then Opto-Camp is for you!
June 18-20 and July 16-18, 2014
The Opto-Camp application for the Summer of 2013 is now closed.
Check back next year for the 2014 Opto-Camp application!
Open to all, the goal of Berkeley Optometry's Opto-Camp is to provide pre-health science/pre-optometry majors, especially those who are underrepresented in the profession and/or first-generation college students, with in-depth information about Optometry as a career track and to prepare attendees to be successful applicants to optometry school.
The objective of Berkeley Optometry's Opto-Camp is to present a three-day "in residence" experience that will provide participants with opportunities to learn about the profession of optometry and the process of becoming an optometrist.
For informational purposes only, you can view the past schedule from Summer 2012: Agenda/Schedule 2012 [PDF format].
Who Can Participate?
- Participants must be enrolled for the fall of 2013 in an accredited four-year college or university, or a junior college.
- Preferential consideration will be given to those applicants who will be entering into their senior year of college in the fall of 2013, then to those who will be juniors, and then to those who will be sophomores.
- We will also consider applications from those who have already completed their undergraduate studies.
- Out-of-State prospective Opto-Campers are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
- A declared, or anticipated, major in the Sciences is preferred, but not required.
- Preferential consideration will be given to applicants who are the first in their family to pursue post-high school education.
- Preferential consideration will also be given to applicants who have a 2.8, or higher, cumulative GPA.
- Participation will be capped at 30 Opto-Campers per session.
- We do not consider applications from high school students.
- If selected, there is a $125 program fee to attend.
- A limited number of scholarships are available per session. Instructions are listed under "How Do I Apply."
- Opto-Camp participants need to cover their travel expenses to and from the UC Berkeley campus.
How Do I Apply?
The application consists of two parts: the online application and supplemental mailed-in materials. Please note that we prefer self-managed applications. This means that applicants should mail one letter of recommendation and cover form, official transcripts, and application fee in ONE envelope. The application should be submitted online.
In order to deem your Opto-Camp application complete, the following must be submitted by the deadline of Monday, May 6, 2013:
- Completed Student Profile, Family Profile, and Short Answers (All Online)
- Letter of Recommendation and accompanying Cover Form in a signed and sealed envelope
- Your most recent college or university official transcript in a signed and sealed envelope
- $15.00 non-refundable application processing fee. Only pay by personal check or money order, made out to "UC Regents." Please do not include cash! Sorry, no application fee waivers!
- If you wish to be considered for an Opto-Camp Scholarship, please submit your financial aid award letter from the undergraduate institution you currently attend. If you are not currently enrolled, please submit a copy of your and your parents', where applicable, income tax return(s) and W2(s) from 2012. In addition to documentation, please submit the scholarship form along with your mailed-in supplemental materials.
Mail everything to:
Berkeley Optometry Opto-Camp
Admissions and Student Affairs Office
380 Minor Hall
School of Optometry
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-2020
Videos, Photo Albums, "Class Pictures," Articles, and Testimonials
|Opto-Camp 2006||Video||Photo Album|
|Opto-Camp 2007 (June & July)||Video||Group Photos|
|Opto-Camp 2007 (June & July)||-||Article (PDF)*|
|Opto-Camp 2008 (June & July)||-||Group Photos|
|Opto-Camp 2008 (June)||Video||-|
|Opto-Camp 2008 (July)||Video||-|
|Opto-Camp 2009 (June & July)||-||Group Photos|
|Opto-Camp 2009 (June & July)||-||Testimonials|
|Opto-Camp 2010 (June & July)||-||Group Photos|
|Opto-Camp 2011 (July)||-||Group Photos|
|Opto-Camp 2012 (June & July)||-||Group Photos|
* Article published in California Optometry, Sept/Oct 2007, vol. 34, no. 5, p. 36.
Become a friend on Facebook: facebook.com/berkeley.optometry
Follow us @BerkeleyOptometry
More Admissions Information:
If you have additional questions after reading all the material under the
Admissions Topics, please contact us by filling out the following very brief form:
Admissions Contact Form
Admissions and Student Affairs Office (ASAO)
School of Optometry
Berkeley, CA 94720-2020
Tel: (510) 642-9537
Fax: (510) 643-7111